Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Let's Get Our Sew Along On!

Last week I made some time, and stitched and stitched while I took a gazillion photos. All I've got to do now is a little bit of a clickety-click on the keyboard and we'll have ourselves a sew-along. Yes? Yes!


As per usual, I'll be breaking this down into a few parts so it doesn't seem too overwhelming. And I'll have lots of words and pictures to clarify everything as best as I can.

We're not going to start sewing until Monday, but I wanted to give you the materials list so you'll have some time to start getting things together. Note that the measurements given below are the "good" measurements. If the cutting counter at your fabric store cuts you a crooked 24 inches that's not going to work; you'll need 24 inches after squaring up. If you often get crooked cuts (annoying!!) you might want to get 3/4 yard to have a few extra inches to hack off and neaten up (or else explain to them what you'll need and watch them like a hawk so you get all of what you're paying for).

You will need:
  • 2/3 yd. of exterior fabric. Non-directional fabric works best for this pattern.
  • 2/3 yd. of lining fabric
  • 1/3 yd. of a contrast fabric for the handles. If you want to use the lining fabric for the handles then skip this and just get 1 yard of lining fabric
  • 1 1/3 yard of 20-inch wide fusible interfacing. I used Shape Flex 101 (a woven) but a basic craft-weight will work fine, too)
  • 2/3 yard of fusible fleece (I used Thermolam Plus)
  • 1 24-inch zipper
  • 1 10-inch zipper (for the inside zipper pocket)
  • your pattern (I've shown you here how you can make a boxy bag like this in any size that you like, but I kept the sew along math-free. You're welcome :)  Make sure you print at 'Actual Size' or set the scaling to 'None' to make sure your pattern prints at full size.
Once we get all of these things reorganized, we'll have a bag that is roughly ten inches wide, eight inches high, and four inches deep, with a secure zipper opening, lovely inside pockets for organization, and some super sturdy handles. Sound good? Good.

A few other thoughts for you... I originally designed this bag to be used as a toiletry bag, and that's what I'll be using mine for. BUT there are an infinite number of uses for a bag like this. A craft tote for anything you can imagine (crochet, knitting, jewelry making, paper pieced quilting, and so on); a tote for wee 'uns to lug their own treasures around (Legos, paper and crayons, and whatever other treasures they 'need'); make it in coated fabrics and use it as a lunch tote; and, if you feel ambitious and want to size it up a little you could make a wee overnighter for the young 'uns. Anything goes, really. This is one of those bags where the fabrics can help define its use if you'd like, which means a super amount of fun in the fabric shop, eh?

So get thinking, and get shopping. Then meet me back here for some stitching on Monday.

9 comments:

  1. Gorgeous. I won't be able to take part unfortunately but I'll be watching as you go along and saving for later.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great, I think I will size it up and make an overnight bag for my daughter:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I do like a bit of Geekly Chic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a seasoned sewist and am completely befuddled by the printing of the pattern piece! :-( If you print on A4 it doesnt seem big enough for a 24" by 22" piece of fabric and as for the turning the pattern piece around... I'm completely lost :-( I can't seem to get the same shape as you have. Someone please help! :-( xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! If you take a look at part one in this series (http://sweetbeebuzzings.blogspot.com/2014/06/the-toiletry-tote-sew-along-part-one.html) I show you how to lay out the pattern piece to get that specific shape.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...